It’s been a busy week at Chez MLO and I didn’t have time to craft until the weekend! But I do have a card to share today featuring the All About Mom and Die-Namics Mom sets and Bold Blossom stamp set, all from My Favorite Things.
In a bit of a departure from my usual whimsical, scene-building style, I stamped an all-over pattern using solid stamps and used a partial die-cut technique to make this sweet Mother’s Day card.
To start off, I marked off a diagonal (for the sketch challenge – see the end of this post for a picture of the sketch) on a panel of smooth white cardstock that was trimmed to A2 (4.25″ x 5.5″) and then positioned the “mom” die along the line and taped it down using a low-tack tape. Then I placed this into my die-cutting machine such that the bottom plate stopped just short of the bottom of the die (cut side facing down). This cuts everything except the part that is overhanging. For excellent videos showing this technique, head over to Jennifer McGuire’s blog. I’m still a rookie at this technique so I had to do a little extra trimming after running it through my die-cut machine.
Then I masked off the “mom” and started stamping flowers. To keep to the color scheme of the Color Throwdown challenge (red, pink, mint), I decided to do the large flowers in red, smaller flowers in pink, details in red, and leaves in mint. See my supply list for the specific brands and colors of the ink I used. These stamps were brand new, so I primed them by inking them up with VersaMark and wiping them off with my hand prior to inking them with colored ink. This helps the ink to coat the stamp more evenly. Also the MISTI (or similar stamp positioning tool) helps because you can re-stamp your image in the same exact spot should the ink not transfer evenly. (Also, I tend to drop inked-up stamps, ruining my card. So. Many. Times. So the MISTI helps with that too.)
Then I grabbed a scrap piece of cardstock (Reverse Confetti, salsa) and stamped the sentiment in Versamark and heat embossed it with white fine detail powder. I then trimmed it down to make a flag and adhered it to the floral panel.
Note: Affiliate links used when possible, please see disclosure for more info. Thanks for your support!